7.12.12

A Step Up {Style At Home}


If you are in school or have a job, you probably get out of the house at least 5 days a week. Me? I'm a stay at home mom and wife so I only get out maybe 3 days a week tops. Well to be honest, less than that right now due to having an infant and still recovering myself from her birth. Don't feel sorry for me, I like it just fine staying at home! I've always been kind of a homebody, so being a SAHM is right up my alley, I wouldn't want it any other way. Anyway, back to what I was saying. Due to the fact that I stay at home day after day, I tend to fall into bad habits. Like, not getting dressed. (changing into clean sweats doesn't count!) And not doing my hair and makeup. (lip balm and messy ponytails...that doesn't count either!) Really, I'm such a bum, it's embarrassing. Not to mention I feel really bad for my husband. He never brings it up cause he's awesome. ^_^ But I know its bad when I get a "wow you look great!" when I just to put on a pair of earrings for a change. Hello... that is a wakeup call if I ever heard one! I haven't always been this way, I think a lot of it has to do with postpartum exhaustion :) and maybe I am exaggerating all of this a little. But nevertheless, I am on a mission to start dressing better around the house. Mostly for me, but also for the people around me like poor hubs. I'm sure he'll appreciate seeing me in something other than stretched out + baggy sweats and sloppy ponytails. You can expect to see outfit posts up on the blog once again, I'm aiming for at least 2 a week. We'll see how it goes. ^_^ And if you are anything like me and looking for a place to start when it comes to dressing up a notch at home while still remaining comfortable, here are some starters that I'm incorporating back into my everyday style.
-Fix my hair. Ditch the ponytails/messy buns, that I keep doing day after day. A ponytail can be classy, and a messy bun looks cute, but they need to be done right, and  even then after a while it gets old. So I'm going to start taking better care of my hair, and actually taking the time to style it more often. There are a lot of easy + quick hairstyles out there, stay tuned for a post coming up soon on the subject!
-Give my face a little attention. I'm not much of a makeup wearer, even on my most made up days, it is still pretty natural and simple. But I feel guilty that I only put makeup on the days I go out! So from now on I'm going to at least try taking 2 minutes (seriously, it doesn't take long!) to give my face a pick me up. Mascara and blush can go a long ways into making you look more awake and bright. :-)
-Just get dressed. It's okay to keep in simple, after all, I'm a mom, not a queen. But no more yoga pants and old sweatshirts. Skinny jeans and sweaters are a much better looking alternative, and still pretty comfy!
-Accessorize. Even if it's just a little! I'm sooo bad about this. But it is something that can make a really big difference in how you look. It takes your outfit from I-just-got-dressed-because-I-had-to-get-dressed....to I-actually-care-about-my-outfit-and-put-some-thought-into-it! An easy accessory for me is earrings. Put them in and forget about it! They don't get in the way which is awesome and probably why I like them so much above other forms of jewelry. 
-Do whatever it is that makes you feel pretty. Everyone is probably different on this one. For me personally, I feel a million times better with a nice manicure and a splash of perfume. (my husband always notices too! ^_^) Maybe sounds silly, but it's amazing what something as simple as a spritz of perfume can make in your day. Instead of a frumpy zombie person, I actually feel like a women. 
>>>>>>    <<<<<<
 How do you dress at home?

:-) and for fun I want to know..
What makes you feel pretty?


4 comments:

  1. How I usually dress at home.... Well when I get home from school I ditch my school uniform and just pull on sweats and a sweatshirt. :) But if I'm going out, cardis and skinny jeans, plus scarves, boots, and beanies, are what I usually wear.

    What makes me pretty: wearing makeup. I usually don't wear any at all. It usually just depends on my mood if I feel like wearing any at all. But sometimes I do, and I always feel better about myself when I do. :)

    And ohmygosh I am soooo looking forward to your outfit posts again!! You are seriously one of my favorite fashion bloggers evah!

    Love,
    Manda
    http://meandjesus-amanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most days when I stay at home, I wear jeans, a t-shirt, ponytail and no make-up. When I go out though, I make sure I'm wearing make-up, some accessories, and a cute shirt or sweater.

    What makes me feel pretty: make-up and my signature twisty pull-back hairdo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to wear long maxi skirts around home with a sweater or my jean knee length skirt. My sister and I love to be dressy! Even if we aren't going anywhere we do dress-up a little bit.

    I feel pretty with lip gloss and my hair curled with the top part pulled back :)
    I really enjoy your blog and I'm looking forward to you outfit posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very understandable! I'm not a mom, but some days I just don't feel like getting dressed! Around the house I really DO wear the outfits I post (minus shoes!). But sometimes I end up in sweats-it's life! But striving to get a bit more dressed up for your husband is a fantastic ambition.
    Hope to see an outfit post soon! Hint, hint! :)
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank's so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing feedback from my readers, your comments bring sunshine into my day! Please no anonymous commenters, sign your comment with your name or a nickname so I know who you are! :-) Wishing you a fabulous day, XO, Marie