23.10.12

Mom's Apple Pie {30 Day Challenge}

Today I'm sharing a recipe that is an old Autumn favorite of mine. Apple pie! It doesn't get more classic than that does it? :-) I used to think making pies were sooo difficult, I suppose I related it to having to make the pie crust. But actually, it's not really all that hard and it is totally worth the effort. In the past year I've made a lot of pies, apple in particular since it's my husbands favorite dessert! This recipe was given to me by my mom, and so it is also a recipe that I grew up with. Maybe that's why I love it so much. One of those small nostalgic comforts from childhood. :-) Hopefully some day I'll pass this simple yet satisfying pie recipe on to my own daughter. 

As a disclaimer, I am not Martha Stewart, in fact I'm rather challenged when it comes to many (most) household things. Like.. baking pies for example. So my pie isn't exactly a winner when it comes to beauty, but I promise that the delicious taste makes up for it! :-)
Filling:
6 cups sliced apples
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash of salt

Pie Crust:
1 cup shortening
3/4 cup water (or more if needed)
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
4 cups flour
dash of salt

Mix together, shortening in the middle of dry ingredients, pulling them into shortening. Roll dough out on floured surface, fit to bottom of pie pan. Add filling, and dot with butter. Put on top crust, vent, crimp sides, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Place foil guards until last 10-15 minutes. Bake at 350 for 60 minutes. Pie is done when apples reach desired softness.

So there you go. :-) That is one of my very favorite recipes to make in the Fall.

What is your favorite Autumn recipe?

XO,
Marie


5 comments:

  1. Mmmm that pie sure looks good, Marie! :9

    I think my favorite Autumn recipe would have to be Nutella Honey Coffee, because I love sipping on a warm mug full of chocolaty flavor during the fall season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, sounds delicious! I love pie in the autumn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha funny thing - I just told my mom today that we should make an apple pie soon cuz we never do and she said 'yeah, cuz its ur dad's favorite'. haha so maybe we will! :)

    my favorite autumn recipe is prolly pumpkin bars or pumpkin cookies (sugar cookies cookie-cut in pumpkin shapes, frosted with orange and green frosting.) so yep.

    love,
    manda
    http://meandjesus-amanda.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple pie is so classic Fall. We usually make at least one in the Fall. Your pie looks so good! (I am having a dessert recipe link-up on my blog today if you'd like to link-up your recipe.)

    My favorite Autumn recipe? Probably this cranberry upside-down cake. http://katislittlecorner.blogspot.com/2012/10/31-days-of-decadent-desserts-day-22.html

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thank's so much for taking the time to visit my blog. I love hearing feedback from my readers, your comments bring sunshine into my day! Please no anonymous commenters, sign your comment with your name or a nickname so I know who you are! :-) Wishing you a fabulous day, XO, Marie